Monday, January 5, 2009

Apheresis

Hooked up to the stem-cell collector machine (apheresis).

The blood circulating through the apheresis machine.

The collected bone-marrow stem-cells (and other stuff).

Today they collected the bone-marrow stem-cells. They need to collect between 5 and 10 million cells. Ryan's levels are up high enough (to a 30 today!) that they may be able to get enough with just today's visit but we won't know until later today. The Apheresis room looks like it's in a converted stock room but oh, well. It took about 4 hours and now they are giving him platelets again. He's a bit nauseous right now but not bad. All went very well. After they have enough I won't have to give him the injections anymore- yippee!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the nausea! I have had stomache sickness and nausea the past couple of days and I think there is nothing worse. I hope it is gone for you! I hope they got enough cells today and hope you had something to do during that 4 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This and the last comment was actually by Jen -- sorry I logged in with the wrong email!)

    ReplyDelete